Implementation concept for business analytics in manufacturing companies in the food and feed industry
The aim of the research project "BAsuccess - Introduction Concept for Business Analytics in Manufacturing Companies in the Food Industry" is to develop an introduction concept for Business Analytics for SMEs in the food industry. The planned concept should enable SMEs to make data-based decisions in order to remain competitive in the long term. The project is carried out by FIR at the RWTH Aachen, the Research Institute for Management, Logistics and Production at the Technical University of Munich and the International Performance Research Institute (IPRI).
The research project BAsuccess develops a concept for the implementation of business analytics applications in companies. At the same time such an introduction without the necessary transformation of the enterprise organization makes little sense. It includes, among other things, the further training or new hiring of employees, the adaptation of communication and information systems due to increasing decision-making speeds, and the adaptation of instruction powers. The development of a complete transformation process for the implementation of business analytics is therefore an interdisciplinary challenge in which the complex processes of the company and their interfaces must be analyzed and redesigned. Due to the limited human and financial resources, this is a particularly difficult task for SMEs, in which they must be supported. The planned concept should enable SMEs to make data-based decisions in order to remain competitive in the long term.
Nutrition is one of the consumer trends of the 21st century and is subject to constant change, not least due to more and more quality-conscious customers with specific requirements. Not only new market segments with so-called superfoods, vegetarian, vegan, gluten and lactose-free, light and convenience products are being developed, but also new products with special features such as regionality, sustainability, fair trade and organic are being introduced. As a result, 40,000 new products appear on the market every year. These new launches are in demand from more and more and very different quality-conscious customer groups with an increased willingness to pay. Nevertheless, the high cost pressure resulting from trade and consumer power, strict regulations and internationalisation pressure mean that high margins are not possible. These challenges are creating a complexity trap for the food industry. In order to solve this trap, it is necessary to increase efficiency, improve innovation and strengthen sales.
The stated objective is achieved through five subgoals:
- Cross-industry presentation of the benefits of business analytics for decision-making in the form of a benefit matrix
- Identification of industry-specific barriers and influencing factors
- Survey of influential success factors for identifying potential fields for the introduction of business analytics
- Deriving measures and instruments to influence the method-supported transformation process
- Transfer of the findings into an integrated introduction concept of business analytics and development of an IT tool
The planned concept should enable SMEs to make data-based decisions in order to remain competitive in the long term.
- Advanced Industry Analytics GmbH & Co. KG, Ulm
- Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli GmbH, Aachen
- DLG e. V., Frankfurt a. M.
- followfood GmbH, Friedrichshafen
- Friedr. Dick GmbH & Co. KG, Deizisau
- Gersthofer Backbetriebe GmbH, Gersthofen
- GlobalFlow GmbH, Korntal-Münchingen
- IPRI International Performance Research Institute gemeinnützige GmbH, Stuttgart
- Kulinaria Deutschland e. V., Bonn
- Lebenshilfe Aachen Werkstätten & Service GmbH, Aachen
- Lehrstuhl für Betriebswirtschaftslehre mit Schwerpunkt Logistik der TU München, München
- Leo der Bäcker & Konditor GmbH & Co. KG, Aachen
- Littlelunch GmbH, Augsburg
- Molkerei MEGGLE Wasserburg GmbH & Co. KG, Wasserburg am Inn
- myChipsbox GmbH, München
- noltewerk GmbH & Co. KG, Greven
- OPAL - Operational Analytics GmbH, Mannheim
- Rezemo GmbH, Stuttgart