AI-supported platform for data-based relay traffic
In the STAFFEL project, a platform for organizing cross-carrier encounter traffic and an IoT-based security technology for asynchronous trailer transfer are to be designed and pilot-tested.
In road freight transport, shipments are interrupted to comply with driving and rest times. These interruptions not only extend the transport time. Truck parking spaces are also occupied, of which there is a shortage of around 35,000 on German highways according to BASt and BGL. The search for parking spaces leads to CO2-intensive parking search traffic, driving time overruns and frustration among truck drivers. Wildly parked trucks cause accidents, inconvenience residents and, according to VEDA, encourage cargo robberies with damages in the billions.
Expected result & benefits for the target group
The interruption of transports can be avoided by securing trailers with an IoT lock at the end of the driving time and then handing them over to rested drivers. In the project, a safe, cross-carrier "relay traffic" is to be researched: on an Internet platform, long distances are to be broken down into partial routes with the help of AI algorithms, which are then mediated between carriers and freight forwarders via a driving time marketplace on the basis of real-time data (e.g. traffic, infrastructure, IoT, telematics).
To achieve the goal, the following steps are planned:
- Concept (sustainability, business model, legal, security)
- Platform (driving time marketplace, AI algorithm, UX/UI)
- Smart backup system (IoT system for trailer handover)
- Integration traffic, telematics, TMS and IoT data
- Big data processing and provision of refined data (mCloud)
- Creation of standardization documents (e.g. e.g. DIN SPEC, CWA)
- Pilot validation at the driving time marketplace "Rheinisches Revier" and on the "North Sea-Balkan Route" with regional partners
UdZ-Article: "STAFFEL: Development of an AI-Supported Platform for data-Based Relay Traffic"
- AKS internationale Spedition GmbH, Aachen
- AMSIT – Gesellschaft für angewandte Mikrosystemtechnik und Informationstechnologie mbH, Aachen
- Club of Logistics e. V., Dortmund
- Couplink Group AG, Aldenhoven
- Euro Rastpark GmbH & Co. KG, Regensburg
- Funk Gruppe GmbH – Internationaler Versicherungsmakler und Risk Consultant, Hamburg
- Hammer GmbH & Co. KG, Aachen
- In Time Personal-Dienstleistungen GmbH & Co. KG, Mönchengladbach
- myOpenFactory Software GmbH, Aachen
- OpenTelematics e. V., Düsseldorf
- OZV GmbH und Co. KG, Würselen
- Trovarit AG, Aachen
- Vereinigung Deutscher Autohöfe e. V., Kuddewörde