Procedure for the evaluation and selection of a sourcing strategy for AI competence in SMEs
The objective of the VoBAKI research project is to enable SMEs to independently identify the processes and necessary competencies in the lifecycle of an AI use case and to derive the sourcing strategies that are suitable for them.
The life cycle of an AI application comprises various processes and activities from data collection and model development to the adaptation of an application to a changed data situation. From these activities, different AI-specific competencies can be derived for their successful management. These AI-specific competencies are not available in many SMEs.
First, the objectives of SMEs with regard to the use of AI applications are elaborated. Then, the relevant processes in the life cycle of an AI application and activities as well as competencies are identified. Subsequently, the activities are assigned to different AI roles. Potential sourcing strategies are described and evaluated in terms of their practical relevance. Subsequently, operational requirements that influence the selection decision are identified for each SME-relevant sourcing strategy. In a further step, the different sourcing strategies and their design alternatives are evaluated with regard to their contribution to achieving the operational objectives. The results of the project will be combined in a procedure for evaluating and selecting the appropriate sourcing strategy and made applicable through supplementary transfer media (e.g. business game, explanatory videos).
AI role profiles as well as a procedure for evaluating and selecting a proper sourcing strategy for implementing AI use cases in SMEs.
Benefits for the target group
The project provides a method that simplifies the structuring of an AI project and thus reduces the barrier to entry into the new technology.
- 3win® Maschinenbau GmbH, Aachen
- adesso SE, Geschäftsstelle Stuttgart, Stuttgart
- ADVES GmbH, Goldenstedt-Lutten
- Eisenhuth GmbH & Co. KG, Osterode am Harz
- exprobico, Firscherhude
- GTT Gesellschaft für Technologie Transfer mbH, Hannover
- GreenGate AG, Windeck
- GuideCom AG, Münster
- HaKu GmbH – Industrielle CNC-Zerspanungstechnik, Alsdorf
- i4.0MC – Industrie 4.0 Maturity Center GmbH, Aachen
- Lehrstuhl und Institut für Arbeitswissenschaft (IAW) der RWTH Aachen, Aachen
- NTT DATA Business Solutions AG, Bielefeld
- ORDAT Gesellschaft für Organisation und Datenverarbeitung mbH & Co. KG, Gießen
- PSI FLS Fuzzy Logik & Neuro Systeme GmbH, Dortmund
- Reiser AG Maschinenbau, Veringenstadt
- Rosami: Agentur für Vertrieb, Marketing und Digitalisierung, Dortmund
- Scheibinox OHG, Kamp-Lintfort
- SchuF Chemieventile Vertriebs GmbH & Co. KG, Eppstein
- S-Servicepartner Deutschland GmbH, Berlin
- Syntegon Technology GmbH, Waiblingen
- WIRTGEN GROUP Zweigniederlassung der John Deere GmbH & Co. KG, Windhagen