The Impact of Digitalization on Business Processes
In particular for manufacturing companies, business processes represent the link between suppliers and customers as well as within the value chain. In application-oriented research projects we investigate the influence of digitalization on business processes and the logistics of manufacturing companies.
Optimization of order processing
The aim of the Production Management unit is to optimize companies' business processes to increase operational efficiency or to develop new business areas in order to maintain and enhance their competitiveness. The focus is on industrial order processing and the involved sub-processes. This includes sales and the quotation process, procurement, as well as production planning and control through to dispatch.
In addition to information flows, the focus is on internal and external material flows. The core elements and goals of digitalization, including digital process automation and optimization as well as the collection and evaluation of data, play an important role here, as the increasing availability of technologies creates new application scenarios. New technologies have an impact on the architecture and functionalities of established business application systems, such as ERP systems, and production-related systems such as Manufacturing Execution Systems. Further, the unit explores possibilities for the optimal integration of logistics and business processes as well as the associated information systems, both within the organization and in the customer-supplier relationship. We are also researching new ways of handling master and transaction data for all business processes, i.e. enhancing the quality of data or gaining new insights through data analysis methods.
Main topics in Production Management
The Production Management unit conducts research in three subject areas:
- High-frequency, agile production planning
- Intelligent, data-supported production control
- Supply chain data management
Our Expertise – Your Benefit
- 40 years of experience and the resulting comprehensive understanding of internal and external business processes of companies of various industries and sizes.
- Knowledge of all common business application systems (e.g. ERP, MES, BDE, MDE) and relevant information and communication technology, as well as current technology trends.
- Competence in the development, application, management and implementation of research projects in research consortia, associations, and businesses from start-up to corporate group.
The integration of business processes and IT systems as well as their anchoring in the company are the key topics of our research activities. The object of investigation is increasingly shifting from the transfer or the reduction of established solutions to the development and testing of new applications. With a special focus on manufacturing companies, we ensure the attractiveness and profitability of Germany as a production location.